Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Vegan On The Road: TC: Hard Times Cafe


Where: Hard Times Cafe


What We Ordered: Sadly, I can't recall the name of what we ordered and Hard Times has no website (champagne problems!) for me to reference. I know I got a burrito, and it was a big fattie that I slapped contentedly. Weird habit: I like to smack my burritos before I eat them to test the ingredients packing level, distribution and fullness. This burrito passed the test. (below)

  
Big D, my vegan mentor, ordered a falafel plate and some monstrosity of a soda called Jolt. Jolt's original slogan from 1985 was "All the sugar and twice the caffeine". In my eyes it is a man-made abomination, but I guess it is something of a legend among cola drinkers. Admittedly, I hate all cola drinks - I am an anti-colite. Fun fact: on an episode of "30 Rock" Tracy Jordan demands a can of Jolt Cola, which he explains "will be hard because it no longer exists". (below)


Tacos, y'all with the softie shells! You really can't go astray with good ole tacos, amiright? Served with a side of chips and salsa. (below)



Notes: Hard Times interior is reminiscent of a punk rock dive bar from the early 80's once the lights go up after a hard drinking night and maybe a small fire and a few fist fights. We were there in late afternoon for lunch and the food was cheap and filling, the music was quiet and there weren't many other patrons present. The diners were varied and all very quiet ranging from a guy in a suit to some punks rock guys bumming cigarettes to a schoolgirl chic middle aged lady in a gyno short plaid skirt. I did think our cook was wearing an oxygen mask but it turned out to be my own fanciful interpretation of a side view of a tribal face tattoo. I have to say, it would be a fun place to eat after a concert (when I was in my twenties and could still handle mosh pits, loud music, and wore my knee high lace-up Docs). Try not to use the restroom - or just go to look at the graffiti and wash your hands. CASH ONLY!

B.A. Baracus pities the fool who doesn't recycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment