Friday, June 1, 2012

Vegan On The Road: TC: Fasika Ethiopian Restaurant


Where: Fasika Ethiopian Restaurant
http://www.fasika.com/


What I Ordered: Veg Sampler - Atkilt (curried vegetable stew with carrots, potatoes, cabbage, pepper, onion); Gomen (greens cooked in the Ethiopian style); Kik Alicha Wat (curry spiced split peas); Misir Key Wot (lentils cooked in Berbere sauce); Misir Alicha (lentils cooked in curry + spices); Shiro Wat (spiced chickpea flour cooked in berbere), Fosolia (green beans & carrots cooked in curry + spices). Served with Injera (a flat, spongy bread that resembles a crepe or a pancake. Injera is made of Tef, Ethiopian staple grain or wheat and barley.)


Notes: This was my first time eating authentic Ethiopian food (my one previous experience involved a shady restaurant that may or may not have been a front for drug dealings. Allegedly.) At the suggestion of friends, I ordered the veg sampler to get a taste of all the amazing vegan options - everything was mouth wateringly good. As you can see from my pathetic photo - I was so busy shoving food in my bean hole I didn't even bother to get a "before" food pron image of the plate. My favorite was the Atkilt - Irish girls and their root veggies, amiright? My Southern friends raved about the Gomen (greens) which I have never developed a taste for (totally regional - Midwesterners as a general rule don't make greens) however, I did enjoy a few bites and felt very sophisticated. By all accounts - n00bs and seasoned pros the meal was top notch!


Since I pulled a boner on the food photo op, here are some cute animal photos from the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory (http://www.comozooconservatory.org/)! After reviewing the images, "cute" may be the wrong word - odd and amputated looking is more apt. Enjoy!:








No comments:

Post a Comment