Monday, June 11, 2012

Vegan On The Road: TC: The Barbary Fig & Spoonriver

BLERGH! I don't have any food pron photos from these last two restaurants, so please enjoy some touristy shots of the Twin Cities - Walker Art Center and the Minneapolis Institute of Arts museums from our trip. I *photo of Spoon Bridge and Cherry* Minneapolis. I really should have gotten one of these tee shirts at the Walker!

Where: The Barbary Fig
http://www.thebarbaryfig.com/

What We Ordered:
Appetizer: Hummus with warm pita bread
Entrees: Special order by the owner! When we told our server that we had two vegans and two vegetarians in the group she spoke to the owner/chef and he made us a delicious special lunch. The falafel was just mouth watering and their pitas were so thin and flavorful - I wanted the recipe. The hummus was a taste treat and had some different subtle flavors I wanted to figure out to add to my own. It was a real treat having a customized meal made with such care - I didn't see The Barbary Fig on many veg dining sites, so it might be a well kept secret. Vegans do NOT shy away - we were completely accommodated in every way!

What is happening to this young woman's face? I do not know. She appears to be a half pig/half girl "Animal Farm" hybrid (but a nice, sweet piglet, not a Nazi boar!) and I could not get enough of her.

Where: Spoonriver
http://spoonriver.com/

What We Ordered: My fellow vegan, Big D and I both got the Chicken Udon Salad with Mock Duck subbed for the chicken.

Notes: In all fairness to Spoonriver, I must divulge that we met friends for dinner here and I was pretty busy jabbering away at my beloved college gal pal rather than paying attention to the menu. Bitches be triflin'! This restaurant was in an amazing location, had a lovely space and after dinner we walked over and toured the Guthrie Theatre (http://www.guthrietheater.org/) which offered stunning views of the river and city. As a place to meet for a nice dinner and to accommodate vegans, vegetarians, an omnivore and a gluten-free diner; Spoonriver did an excellent job of making us all happy.

Why are dudes dressed as chicks almost always better looking than me? This painting also had me singing Tone Loc's well loved line from Funky Cold Medina "Sheena was a man..." under my breath.

I tripped over this hobo camp sculpture about fifty times and may have lost a toenail to bruising in the process. Who leaves a lead hobo in the middle of a gallery? Again, my mind wandered to my version of "improving" the art by adding an old can of pork and beans and a spork.

I do not see why the flattering, practical and comfortable neck ruff ever went out of style? I'm sure plenty of bed bugs bug, lice and sores could be daintily covered under so much white starched lace.

And that's a wrap for the Twin Cities May, 2012 visit! I can't week to return in November for my big Scorpio birthday bash with Cindy Sherman!


No comments:

Post a Comment